Eons ago (aka about 3 years ago), we bought some drapes from IKEA. Three sets to be exact. One has been hung and the other packages have been sitting unopened in our laundry room ever since. I figured if we haven't gotten around to it by now, chances are good it isn't going to happen.
When I came across this skirt pattern on Sew Mama Sew the drapes became a lot of possibilites. I wore the skirt today and love it. The next one I make I'll try the ruffle. The only change I made was to use my waist measurement instead of my hips because when I used my hip measurement the skirt was huge on me. Even still it is bigger than I would like around the waist, am going to cinch in the elastic some more.
You can see in the picture the original drapes and then my revamped ones (I personally think they look better on my than the window). I used some iron-on patches I had for the applique. They are still stiched in the traditional way only I didn't have to worry about interfacing - big bonus.
I cut-up an old shirt I bought from Old Navy for about $2.00 and used this tutorial for my fabric carnation. I like the size of the one in the tutorial better, but still think it's cute.